Teen Dating Violence:
The intentional use of physical, sexual, verbal, or emotional abuse by a person to harm, threaten, intimidate, or control another person in a dating relationship, around the ages of 13-19 years old.
- 1 in 5 high school girls report being physically assaulted and/or sexually abused by a dating partner. (1)
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women ages 15-44 in the United States- more than car accidents, muggings and rapes combined. (1)
- 44% of all students have been in an abusive relationship by the time they graduate from college. (2)
- 1 in 3 teens experience some type of violence in their romantic relationships. (2)
- Young women between the ages of 16-24 experience the highest rate of partner violence- almost triple the national average. (3)
The willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control perpetrated by one intimate partner against another.
- 1 in 3 women in the U.S. report experiencing domestic violence sometime in their life.(4)
- Every 9 seconds, a woman is assaulted in the U.S.(1)
- More than 3 million children witness domestic violence in their homes every year.(1)
- On average, domestic violence hotlines receive over 21,000 calls(4
- In 2013, 31% of victims/survivors of domestic violence requesting shelter were turned away due lack of resources.(4)
The crime involving the exploitation of someone for the purposes of compelled labor or a commercial sex act through the use of force, fraud, or coercion; a form of modern day slavery.
- Texas is second in the nation for human trafficking crime, with Dallas being second within Texas for human trafficking crime.(5)
- An estimated 100,000 children are in the sex trade in the United States.(6)
- 53% of adult victims and 66% of children victims of trafficking are women.(6)
- 25% of all human trafficking victims are in Texas (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.)
- 30% of all human trafficking tips to the National Rescue Hotline came from Texas. (6)
If you need help, please know that here are resources out there.
1. "Facts & Statistics." Facts & Statistics | Hope Alliance. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Jan. 2017.
2. Texas Young Lawyers Association. "Teen Dating Violence." TexasBar.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Jan. 2017.
3. "Dating Abuse Statistics – Www.loveisrespect.org." Www.loveisrespect.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Jan. 2017.
4. NCADV. "National Domestic Violence Hotline, Texas." PsycEXTRA Dataset (n.d.): n. pag.NationalCoalitionAgainstDomesticViolence.org. NCADV. Web. 19 Jan. 2017.
5. "Texas." National Human Trafficking Hotline. Polaris, n.d. Web. 19 Jan. 2017.
6. Polaris Project. (2010). “Human Trafficking Statistics.” http://www.polarisproject.org/resources/resources-by- topic/human-trafficking